One of the most successful programs sponsored by the Wisconsin Motor Carriers Association has been the Wisconsin Road Team. For the past 27 years, the team has provided the WMCA with a proactive approach to highway safety and an opportunity to improve the image of the trucking industry in this state. The Wisconsin Road Team continues to build upon the successful foundation developed by members of the team in previous years. The program has concentrated on the following areas:
1. Drivers Education Classes & Career Fairs – The Road Team makes approximately 125 high school appearances and presentations to about 3,500 students in driver education classes each year, providing safety tips and explaining how to “share the road” with large vehicles. The Road Team also attends career classes and fairs promoting careers in the industry.
2. Media & the General Public – Wisconsin’s Road Team members have granted numerous interviews with the media and discussed highway safety and the importance of the trucking industry at a variety of conventions, trade shows and civic organizations.
3. Safety Forums – Team members have spoken at safety forums, in-service training sessions for government agencies, drivers’ meetings, and company safety banquets.
SEEKING PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS
- Articulate, safety-conscious drivers.
- Drivers talk about what they know.
- About 3-4 times per month.
- Flexible schedule – Drivers will do assignments in their region of the state.
- Over-the-Road drivers can be scheduled according to their work schedule either at the beginning or the end of their trip. Our staff will work with the company and driver to make it work for them.
- Driver and company know the assignments 3-4 weeks in advance.
- Our heaviest scheduled areas of the state: Southeast, Northwest, Central
1. Nominees must have a current CDL and be employed as a company driver, safety professional or independent owner-operator. (Consideration will be given to retired drivers who have company support.)
2. Nominees must have an outstanding safety record.
3. Nominees should be able to speak convincingly about their commitment to safety and by their appearance, represent the trucking industry’s best. Those selected to the Road Team will receive professional speech training. An emphasis will be placed on the driver’s ability to speak articulately and enthusiastically about the trucking industry.
4. The nominee, if selected, must be willing to spend up to three days per month traveling and speaking on behalf of the trucking industry. For more information on scheduling, the time commitment, or the program contact Susan Webb at the WMCA (608) 833-8200 ext 12.
5. The nominating company must be willing to continue to pay salary and provide benefits to the driver while he or she is traveling for the Wisconsin’s Road Team. (In the case of an owner-operator, the company must be willing to pay the driver’s overhead costs plus an additional sum equivalent to his profit per day for each day spent for the WMCA.)
6. Those selected to the Wisconsin’s Road Team will be introduced and recognized at the WMCA Safety Awards Banquet which will be held on Saturday, February 25, 2017.
7. The nominating company must be a member of the WMCA.
- To nominate a driver, please fill out the Official Nomination Form below. If you would like a paper copy of this form, please e-mail Sue Webb at email@example.com with your request.
- Emphasis should be placed on why the nominee would be a good representative of Wisconsin’s trucking industry.
- The person signing the nomination form must be a motor carrier executive with the authority to commit his/her company’s support for the program, as specified above. The nominator should also confirm that the nominated driver is willing to participate in the program.
- MVR must accompany nomination form and may be mailed or faxed to our office. Supporting materials,such as copies of awards or testimonials, may be included.
- Nominations must be received by the WMCA no later than January 6, 2017. Please make sure your driver is available for the following date: Selection interviews will be held January 27, 2017 in Madison, Wisconsin.
2016 Road Team Major Sponsor – J.J. Keller & Associates, Neenah, WI
Nominations are due January 6, 2017. Please make sure your driver is available for the following date: Selection interviews: January 27, 2017 in Madison, If you have any questions, please contact Sue Webb by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org